Monday 3 October 2011

Day 5 - Really Getting Into It - Kailey.


Alright, I think I might have almost reached the point of being content with the recycling system in my household. And my worms are still kicking (wiggling at least).

Also set up in our kitchen is a scale and chart, for the community challenge I signed us up for. But I must admit I am pretty impressed on how much waste we have already cut down on, there was no point in putting out the garbage this morning because the bin was still less than half full.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Just curious - what is the system you have for system inplace - i.e. what do you break it out by?
    Also - any ideas on what to do with old shoes (that are not runners...and can't be taken to Running Room/Nike stores).... and ripped clothing etc...
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a total of 5 bins.
    1) For general recycling-everything that can be taken by the city.
    2) For refundables-OJ cartons, pop cans, etc.
    3) For specialized recycling-soft plastics.
    **Still looking for a depot in Kamloops, a trip to Vancouver may be required in the end.
    4) Indoor compost-with worms.
    5) A compost bin for napkins/shredded or soiled paper.
    **We dig a hole in our garden and have a very direct composting style. The paper/napkins go in first.


    I am also currently trying to find a solution for old shoes! But as far as ripped clothes go (that can't be sewn to health) I have always tried to salvage the material. My grandmother and I have made a number of quilts over the years. But the material can also be turned into rags or even future patches. Especially denim material-makes a great patch.

    ReplyDelete